Saturday 25 February 2012

Nature's Flower Shop


I believe my time in the borders spoilt me in many ways. Due to different types of foliage being available at that time all costing little or nothing but was a great asset for me. Occasionally whilst out walking the dogs I would come across driftwood lying on the river banks or when working in greenhouses. I would find old vines which due to their bows bending whilst climbing inside the greenhouse made them perfect specimens for my type of work. They were regularly used for wedding pedestal arrangements, when the two bough's curved thus giving the effect of two half horse-shoes and with a natural fixture. I did so love making arrangements in natural containers, whenever possible. Driftwood, unusual stone and anything else that helps to design your portrait. So many textures and all so much, close at hand.

Amongst the woodland for example Pinus sylvestris (Scot Pine)and other different species of trees, Some standing over 100ft  high, it would creak your neck as you tried to search for the tree top.. Due to the different species, colours and textures both in the foliage and the flowers, each flower at my finger tips awaiting to be picked.  Looking towards the river bank I would noticed the snowdrops popping their little heads up in amongst the primroses.  There were variety of different snowdrops (Galanthus nivalis). As the seasons evolved the ferns and daffodils would start to show their faces but the smell of the wild garlic  would always hang in the air as you casually walked  along the driveway.

Looking out towards the river bank on the far-side of the driveway just to the east side of the house,  primroses appeared with their mass of green leaves followed by small pretty pale yellow flowers. They would spread out and form a blanket over the banking late winter early spring. The young Betula pendula (silver birch) which was once only a sucker stood six foot high cascading above the small primroses.

I have since returned to my native home and find that when I go to the flower market, all the foliage and flowers now come at a price. There are a substantial amount of flowers and foliage available in our markets of today. With most flowers being available through the year as they come in from countries around the world despite our seasonal changes.   It is now years on, as I look back and realise how lucky I was, then.

No comments:

Post a Comment